What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system used by Joplin Schools. It is primarily used at the high school. However, many of our middle and elementary school teachers also use the system. A learning management system is a software program that allows teachers to create and administer assignments and document and track learning. Students use the software to complete and turn in assignments. Parents also have access to the software to follow their student's assignments and progress and to engage with their student's teachers.
Already have a Canvas account?
How is Canvas different from Campus Portal?
Campus Portal is our student information system. This is where we update information such as addresses and phone numbers for students, medical needs, attendance, grades, and more. It is also the system we use to report required information to the state and federal government. Parents can view grades and attendance in Campus Portal and update student information. With Canvas, parents can view more details about courses, specific assignments, and ongoing student progress.
How do I create a Canvas account?
1. Go to: https://joplinschools.instructure.com/login/canvas
2. Click on the link (top right) “Need a Canvas Account? Click Here, It’s Free”
3. Click the “Parents Sign Up Here” Link (Under the Teacher and Student Link)
4. Parent Signup info. (see below)
Enter your name in the name field.
Enter your email in the email field.
Enter your child's username in the child's username field. (Ask your child what this is.)
Enter your child's password in the child's password field. (Ask your child what this is.)
Click the Start Participating button.
5. To complete your registration process, log into your email and confirm your
registration by clicking the link to get started. There you will be prompted to set
your password and select your time zone.
What is an Observer?
Our students actively use Canvas to complete and turn in their assignments. An "observer" is a parent or legal guardian who has created an account on Canvas to follow his or her student's progress.
- View and read announcements
- View assignments index page
- View the calendar
- Join conferences, if invited
- Join collaborations, if invited
- View personal inbox
- Send conversation messages to instructor and student they are observing
- View the dashboard
- View and read discussions
- View files unless they are locked
- View grades of student they are observing and filter, view scores and dates, and print grades
- View modules and see due dates, point values, etc.
- View pages and contribute if the instructor enables the Anyone can edit it setting
- View profile pictures, if available
- View syllabus
- View outcomes
- View quizzes index page
- Comment on announcements or discussions
- Submit assignments or quizzes
- View course rosters
- Send conversation messages to students in the course they are not observing
- View locked files or folders
- Join groups
- View unpublished courses
- Access the Chat tool
- Reserve appointment slots in the Scheduler
Parent Registration and Student Observation from Canvas LMS on Vimeo.